DNSSEC support

Started by technicidat, June 14, 2010, 09:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

technicidat

Hi,

With all the recent changes in DNS at the root to support DNSSEC, I wanted to ask if there are any plans to integrate DNSSEC support into Nictool?

I understand that this is likely to be a fairly big job with several new record types, etc
I would offer to help with the development, but I think my coding skills leave a lot to be desired!

Regards,
Andy.

matt

I have received a few inquiries with interest in DNSSEC. As of yet, nobody has volunteered to write the feature.

NicTool is a fairly low on my priority list. I don't anticipate adding support until someone submits code patches or sponsors the development.

technicidat

Hi,

Hmm, like I said, I'm not really an option for helping to code this.

What would be involved in sponsoring the development?
I will try to get my company to contribute to costs for getting this feature added if that is whats needed.

Thanks.

Regards,
Andy.

matt

The more time I spend looking at DNSSEC, the more complications I see. I'd need to add four additional zone record types, export support to convert those records into tinydns' generic record formats, and GUI support for managing zone keys. It would take a few days to develop a rudimentary solution.

technicidat

Hi,

OK, so say you had some time (yeah, I know it's unlikely..)

What do you charge per day?

Andy.

matt

As of NicTool 2.10, there are completely new and improved DNS exports. That was one of the key features for (more) easily extending NicTool to support additional record types. My rates for development are $125/hr, so about $1,000 per day. It's actually a fairly good rate because I'm consistently poor at estimating how much time it'll take to write something, and I always honor my initial guesstimates. :)