Server as webmail client?

Started by JoeShmo, March 06, 2008, 07:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeShmo

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but typically, I like my servers as pure servers, and interactive end users logging into another box which may interact with the server via the application (thus, saving memory/overhead on the server)....

I've just installed the "latest" toaster on FreeBSD 7.0R.  I plan to use this for domain hosting, most likely a light load (only around 100 accounts total).

I origionally did not want to install squirrelmail/sqwebmail/cube/etc.. on it, but instead install them on another system, which would then login to the toaster.  This would leave just the login on the toaster for account management and log analysis.  Am I being overly paranoid?  I started to install squirrelmail from ports, but as I saw the dependancies being installed, I saw x11 fly by, so stopped the installation.  I must have selected something that wanted X, quite odd for a set of php scripts.  For some reason, after toaster-setup -s squirrelmail did not work, as it didnt think it had mysql modules(??) as per the squirrelmailtest.php script.  (The mysql database did get created and such).  But that problem is for another post...