FreeBSD 6.2 EOL

Started by tomierna, August 09, 2008, 10:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomierna

Since FreeBSD 6.2 is at EOL as of a few days ago, which is the preferred upgrade path, 6.3 or 7.0?

The most current Toaster package still has RELENG_6_2 in the toaster-watcher.conf-dist.

Any advice? I'd like to be able to keep up with ports and security releases...

tomierna

Is Mail-Toaster dead?

Hello? Hello? Hello? Hello? Hello?

tomierna

Well, I have upgraded to 6.3 on this machine. Things seem to be working fine at the moment. That gets me to at least 2010.

But, I worry that Toaster is stagnating.

Several core components are behind the port versions:

vpopmail (as of Toaster 5.10) is locked down at version 5.4.17. vpopmail is currently at 5.4.26_1 in ports. According to /usr/ports/UPDATING, 5.4.18 brought database schema changes.

qmail has been bumped a couple minor revs.

qmail-scanner has gone from a 1.x to a 2.x!

ezmlm-idx has updated (seems to be a license and maintainership change only, but still)

I'd ask when Toaster is going to be updated, but given the speed of answers on this forum, I can't expect anything.

It seems I need to find an exit strategy to a ports-maintained mailserver if I want to keep things up-to-date. Sigh.

matt

The majority of toasters hang out on the mailing list, not these forums. I pop in from time to time, as do others. The toaster isn't 'locked' to any particular version of anything. Edit your toaster-watcher.conf, change the version number(s) and rebuild. In addition to "stagnation," a low frequency of changes could also be a sign of project maturity.

tomierna

Ahhh. OK, I actually didn't know there was a mailing list. I'm now a subscriber.