Best version of FreeBSD?

Started by hippotje, January 25, 2007, 03:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippotje

I have been a running several qmail systems on Redhat based on the qmailrocks.org guidelines for several years. After much reseacrch I have choosen Mail::Toaster as the next system design for my companies mail servers.

One question I have is there a specific version of FeeBSD that is considered to be the best to use? I noticed on the wiki under the hardware support page, http://www.tnpi.net/wiki/MT_Platform_Support, that there is a comment that "There are few good reasons to use the older 5.x releases for a new install."

What are these reasons and what is the current recommendation for a new install?

matt

Hi.

Welcome to Mail Toaster, and FreeBSD. You can install MT on Linux too (I've done it a number of times) but that's a dirty little secret. ;-)

Just use FreeBSD 6.2. Trust me.

Oh, that isn't enough?  Well, one good reason to use FreeBSD 5.5 instead of 6.1 or 6.2 is that some folks seem to have stability issues with FreeBSD, SMP, and very heavy CPU loads. I've got three servers, all dual proc (SMP), all running FreeBSD 6.1, and I've never once had a crash. But I know a few have seen them very frequently and I don't know if 6.2 has ironed out that bug. There's probably another good reason or two, but I don't know what they are.

hippotje

Thanks Matt.

I have gone ahead and started the install of the new machine using FreeBSD 6.2. The adventure begins...  :o

rlance

What's the "dirty little secret" about install MT on Linux?  I've been using CentOS lately for some of my boxes because the update cycle is a little more conservative but still agressive about security fixes. 

I have broken MT a couple of times in various ways with the latest ports updates, so there is considerable appeal to me for a Linux version.

Is there any kind of writeup for the installation on Linux?