Toaster vs Remote MySQL Server

Started by shealey, November 28, 2006, 06:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shealey

Matt,

Just a niggle I found with Toaster_Setup.pl -

Its been written to assume that there is a local MySQL server - I'm building my server with MySQL on a separate box (Which will be serving a pair of mirror toasters on a fast private network), and this blew up several steps in toaster_setup, even though I've got a .my.cnf file set up for root to allow transparent connections, and my toaster-watcher.conf file has the remote hostname and password.

Sean.

matt

Yes, it does assume a local MySQL server. Even in a clustered environment, running a local MySQL server is still almost always The Right Way[TM] to set it up.  Even if you don't use the local server, installing it really doesn't cost you anything but a little disk space.

If it really bothers you, send $100 my way and request that I add the option to install mysql client and server libraries separately.

shealey

I'm of the school which keeps dataserver boxes separate from application servers - but thats a whole other debate!

No, I'm not bothered that the MySQL server libraries got installed - I've just configured the box to leave the server shut down and the client connects across to the dataserver box instead.

The niggle was that although I gave valid MySQL connection details in toaster-watcher.conf, toaster_setup.pl just ignores them when its configuring ports such as vpopmail and spamassassin. A quick hunt through the code tells me that the config values aren't getting passed down to the routines in the DB module, which fall back to using defaults of 'localhost'.

It didn't slow up the build much though because I simply followed your sagely advice and manually built the databases after toaster_setup.pl had installed the ports.

To be honest, you deserve the $100 anyway for your sterling work on creating and making the toaster available - not to mention the time you spend answering questions in this forum.  A donation is on its way ... (Just found your PayPal button)

Sean.