Black lists - Country of origin

Started by D3s7, October 24, 2006, 06:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3s7

I apologize if I'm missing a simple solution to this problem but what I am attempting to do is to block out email that is coming in from specific or better all but specific countries of origin.

One of the services that I have for my personal email has this capability and I'm assuming they do it by originating IP.

Is there a blacklist service or add on to the blacklist packages that allows this functionality?

Even on a crude method, is there a list of IP's to lookup that I can just add to the FW to keep them from connecting?

Any info would be appreciated

Thank you

matt

there are firewalls expressly or this purpose.

You can also use something like Geo::IP to look up the country, but you'd have a little work on your hands to get that integrated.

D3s7

Thanks... I somewhat figured that be the answer but was holding hope there was something I was missing :)

twa

Just to follow up:

There's a DNS zone called countries.nerd.dk which supposedly lists all the world's IP addresses by country. Just put the ISO country code in front of the zone name and use it for whatever you want. I'm using it to whitelist Norwegian IP-addresses (long story) in the smtp run file.

Examples:

China: cn.countries.nerd.dk
Romania: ro.countries.nerd.dk
Korea: kr.countries.nerd.dk

And so on and so on. This zone's been up for a couple of years without service interruption.
Tor Willy Austerslått