Duplicated incoming emails

Started by ravenlock, August 20, 2006, 11:40:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ravenlock

Hi, everyone.

A while back I upgraded my Toaster installation, trying hard to follow the instructions to the letter (yet occasionally failing and having to re-do things), but everything seemed to work OK afterwards. However, after a while, some emails began to come in duplicates, triplicates and the occasional, er, whatever it is that happens dozens of times.

It appears that the sending server has difficulties talking to my server, and since it's determined that we didn't get the message, it sends it again. And again. And again.

Unfortunately my competence runs a little short here, so I was unable to find anything significant in the logs (except the part where I get fifty copies of the same message). So I'm writing here in the hopes that someone smarter will have a clue as to what I should be looking for.

Cheers!

matt

Following the instructions to the letter still leaves a lot of latitude in how your server is configured. A few things that might be helpful to others that may want to help you is a diff of your toaster-watcher.conf:

cd /usr/local/etc
  diff toaster-watcher.conf toaster-watcher.conf-dist | grep -v pass

ravenlock

Hi, matt, and thanks for replying.

In my case the appropriate word is probably misconfigured.

Herein lies the diff. To my untrained eye it doesn't really look like a lot of significant things would have changed, but then again...

I did notice that clamd seems to not stay up too long. I upgraded 0.88 to 0.88.4, restarted the thing and left it at that. A bit less than a day later the clamd process was down, but I didn't find anything in the logs, except a notice that it had restarted once during the night.