IMAPD: Login Failed / IMAPD Authentication problem

Started by vodor, July 28, 2006, 08:52:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vodor

Hi

Im running toaster on FreeBSD 6.0. 

Im trying to connect via imap protocol but keep on getting login failed in my /var/log/maillog.
"Jul 28 15:39:45 host imapd: LOGIN FAILED, user=user@domain, ip=[10.0.0.85]"
I can login with the same login credentials using pop3 protocol.

It seems somehow authentication does not happen correctly or I have a error in my configuration somewhere.
Ive checked /usr/local/etc/authlib/authdaemonrc and confirmed that only authvchkpw is selected.
I am however running Mysql -Server-5.1.7-beta (not sure if this might be why. Im trying to avoid downgrading unless its a last resort)

Thanks in advance...
Kevin

matt

No idea, but it really should work, unless there's a problem in the interaction between vpopmail and MySQL, which is quite possible. Does POP3 work?  If so, that rules out the previous theory.  Did you restart authdaemon after editing authdamonrc?  Why are you using a beta database server?  Seems not so wise to me, if you don't know how to fix the sort of problems you are bound to encounter when playing with betas.

Matt

shealey

I'm investigating a Pop/Imap authentication problem on my new toaster - intially everything works fine, but then after an as yet undefined amount of time, I can no longer access the test mailboxes by pop or imap.

The maillog file shows entries for the connect attempts with an error message 'mysql server has gone away'.

This is confusing the heck out of me because restarting the courier pop/imap/auth daemons doesn't fix it, but I can make test connections as the vpopmail sql user just fine.

The key thing may be that the mysql server I'm using is on a remote box (Sun Solaris) - and there is probably either a config or version issue between the local mysql client and the remote mysql server...

Sean.

matt

If you are using MySQL 5 as the server, this is a known issue. There is a thread on the mailing list about it, and how to resolve it.

http://www.cadillac.net/cgi-bin/ezmlm.cgi?mss:10144:200610:bhnbjjenhijpaahhpdck

shealey

Ooh, thats interesting.

Actually the client on the FreeBSD (toaster) box is v5.x - however the server itself is on a separate Solaris box, which is running the bundled v4.0x version. I was initially suspecting interoperability problems between the two versions, but newer clients usually have no problems talking to older servers.

Sounds like the issue lies on the client side from the explanation given in the forum you've linked. I'll have a tinker and let you know the outcome.

Sean.