mail distribution lists and domain aliases

Started by kib, June 10, 2006, 03:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kib

I have several domains which I want to merge to act as one domain.
At the same time we also want distribution lists for common groups like sales@ and support@
What we attempted was to setup one master domain which holds each of our representives direct email.  We setup all the other domains using ./vaddaliasdomain (sorry if I spelled it wrong from memory)
Then we created mailing lists for sales@ support@ and such on the master domain.  We set these mailing lists to not accept any subcription commands and allow anyone to post.  We subscribed our representives to the lists they need to be on.

Well this all appeared nice on the drawing board except for one small detail.  The mailing lists wil reject any message not directly addressed to the mailing list email.  If we have aliasdomain.com alaised to masterdomain.com and if a message arrives at sales@aliasdomain.com it is delivered to sales@masterdomain.com mailing list and is promptly rejected because sales@masterdomain.com isnt int he TO or CC blocks.

We attempted to solve this by using mail robots to do the forwarding but this also met the same result.

Is there a good way to setup a email account that wil send to a distribution list and wont have a problem when in use with domain aliases?  Right now we have each domain setup seperatly but this has become troublesome as changes that need to take palce have to bec hanged on several domains and keeping them all in sync becomes a problem.  I hope to simplify our current situation so we only have to worry about modifying one domain.

kib

well with alot of posts to various ezmlm lamiling lists I did find what I wnated and how to make it work with ezmlm in a qmail/vpopmail environments.
basically all that is needed it to add the option -T to the ezmlm-reject command line found in the file:
/usr/local/vpopmail/domains/<domainname>/.qmail-<listname>
-T basically removed the CC or TO block requirements so it will accept mail no matter what the TO or CC says as long as it arrives at the list by some form or another.

anyhow posting this for archival purposes so people wont have to look as long as as hard as I did in the future.