iDisk Syncing - Problem solved

Started by walinskydotcom, May 22, 2006, 04:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walinskydotcom

To be short: mod_dav cannot suffice the needs;
I moved over to Slide; Slide offers (amongst others) a WebDAV access module (implemented as a servlet).
I'm (b)logging my efforts @ my site.
'll post here again when there's more dramatic changes  ;)

goinup

This is awesome! I am looking to create a fully (as much as possible) ubuntu distro and create a newbie guide (aka step by step) to get this working. If there is one already out there that explains what to do, what everything does, etc please let me know.

Question: Now that you've switched to Slide is it possible to use MySQL for the database file system and report quota based on the database? thus bypassing the need to patch mod_dav?

Thanks

walinskydotcom

Quote from: goinup on June 07, 2006, 08:05:59 PM
This is awesome! I am looking to create a fully (as much as possible) ubuntu distro and create a newbie guide (aka step by step) to get this working. If there is one already out there that explains what to do, what everything does, etc please let me know.
Basically it should be possible to create a .war, or (even better, like slide does) a 'tomcat bundle'.
Quote from: goinup on June 07, 2006, 08:05:59 PM
Question: Now that you've switched to Slide is it possible to use MySQL for the database file system and report quota based on the database? thus bypassing the need to patch mod_dav?

Thanks
Yes; you won't even need mod_dav - slide will be your webdav server.
Slide is highly configurable;
"Within a Slide namespace you can define store's which use RDBMS to store the content. When
storing content within these stores the files and all version information are kept within
the database schema. Within the namespace you can define a combination of stores to utilise both the file system
and different RDBMS databases. This is dependent on your architecture and the solution you
are trying to implement."
Right now I'm using MySQL for users; and my filesystem for content and metadata. (btw. slide quota are folder-related).

I'm looking into migrating the perl scripts (reporting quota, validating names/passwords) now.
It'd also be nice to have a nice gui for rudimentary controlling users, homefolders and quota... (and maybe even access control lists...)

If there's an experienced java-programmer out there, who'd like to get involved; please contact me

goinup

Sounds great. I'd like to help but I am not an experienced java programming (I am fairly confident in Python programming tho). At the very least I'd be willing to try to work with you on something like this. A full slide/tomcat/apache .mac would be fantastic.

I'd also be nice if a default home directory could be created (with .Trashes, etc) that could be zipped up and either put on your site or in these forums. That way after someone creates a /user they can simply unzip the defaults and chmod them.

walinskydotcom

Quote from: goinup on June 10, 2006, 11:24:50 AM
I'd also be nice if a default home directory could be created (with .Trashes, etc) that could be zipped up and either put on your site or in these forums. That way after someone creates a /user they can simply unzip the defaults and chmod them.
That's exactly why I mentioned having a nice gui for rudimentary controlling users, homefolders and quota...

goinup

I agree. I think a web ui would be awesome.. I could easily put something together using webpy and python but maybe an admin page would be better if it was built as a webapp in tomcat (not sure of tomcat's features/funcationality).

i am willing to help.. i'd have to learn java tho.

gbooker

Has any progress been made here?  I went to the original poster's site, and haven't seen anything new there in a while.

I noticed that iSync has started using some aspect of WebDav that mod_dav can't handle, and so I have thought about moving to slide myself.  I have tried setting it up, but can't quite get there in terms of functionality (mostly in that I don't know how to alias /username but can only access it as /files/username).

Given iSync's dependance on something better than mod_dav, if I could get slide working, I have considered rewriting my start at iSync code into java (since I can just use Java serialization to store complex objects rather than a database to store data).

walinskydotcom

gbooker already contacted me by email; and got answered... sorry... if I was a millionair; I'd buy billions of time...
answering his questions one by one...
Quote from: gbooker on August 11, 2006, 03:57:22 PM
Has any progress been made here?  I went to the original poster's site, and haven't seen anything new there in a while.
yes; any progress has been made here. I haven't quite made progress in such way that I considered publishing online.
iDisk, Backup AND iDisk sync do work; but there's still things that need to be done. I couldn't possibly post a diy-.mac-for-dummies right now.
Quote from: gbooker on August 11, 2006, 03:57:22 PM
...but can't quite get there in terms of functionality (mostly in that I don't know how to alias /username but can only access it as /files/username).
this is done by setting the <scope> parameter in web.xml to "/files"

rgrds,

Walinsky

mdpauley

walinsky... your blog has been great, I've set up a gentoo box to run my iDisk server (using aliases and php scripts instead of perl scripts), which runs great. The only issue now is that I want to use iSync and need a little help with setting up Slide. Do you have time to post a better how to or know where I can get better instructions?

walinskydotcom

I added a new entry to my blog. It's some kind of step-by-step instruction on howto set up slide with quota enabled.
There's still issues that need to be solved (that include java programming) for having full control over users and quota;
so if you're not interested in development _don't_ consider it as a replacement for the mod_dav method.

btw. I only got iDisk sync working; not iSync. gbooker spent some time on this, but I think he abandoned the project as iSync messed up his address book.

walinskydotcom

I enhanced the quota patch for mod_dav;
besides user configurable quota the patch enables iDisk syncing with mod_dav
The initial release is available on my site
Further releases will be available on the google project page