Toaster problems. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Started by ToasterNewb24, January 07, 2006, 09:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToasterNewb24

I'll try to make this short and simple.  Questions can be asked accordingly if you're sincere about assisting me with my problem.

We've had a considerable amount of spam and viruses getting through our Symantec-guarded Exchange server here at the office.

I was asked to find a more efficient solution for blocking spam and virii.  It appears to me that a mail toaster seems to be the best option.

My BSD knowledge and usage is between beginner and intermediate.

I have BSD 5.4.  Have installed everything step-by-step according to the mail-toaster walk-through with the exception of the qmail scanner.  Reason being, it was trying to pull a file from an unknown source and I couldn't find in the script where to go to change the location where it was pulling from. I am using simscan, if it's relevant.

Everything tests fine, except when trying to send a test email locally.  Only once have I had success as far as the headers showing a successful scan and push.  All other headers before and after this particular email showed as being basic headers.

Just prior to it's success, I did the following and rebooted :

tcprules /usr/local/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb /usr/local/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp.tmp < /usr/local/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp
[13:33]

chmod 644 /usr/local/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp*

After running that and rebooting, it worked.

I proceeded to modify my smtproutes and rctphosts files, adding the appropriate domain and routing information.  After I rebooted, it has yet to scan an email appropriately.  Even after restoring the smtproutes and rcpthosts files to their condition when it worked and rebooting, it still did not work/scan properly.

I hope this gives anyone interested in helping an idea where I stand, what I've done, and what help I need or what questions I need answered to make this functional.  Any help that's deemed helpful will be GREATLY appreciated.  Please feel free to send me a Private Message or post here with insight.  Either way, I will be checking this often as I try to figure out for myself what is going on.

Thank you!
Ignorance is not bliss.  If it were, I wouldn't be here.

ToasterNewb24

Ignorance is not bliss.  If it were, I wouldn't be here.