Some way to get mails back

Started by fnemo, July 15, 2005, 02:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fnemo

Hi,

by error, the cleaner was activated concerning the Sent Folder with a delay of 180 days.

But some mails are needed (from this directory) but are older than the 180 days.

How does the cleaner work ? is there a way to get the deleted files back ?

It's really important for me Sad

Thank you in advance.

matt

The way to recover a deleted file from a UNIX system is to retrieve it from your backups.

Matt

fnemo

thanks for the reply, even if it was what I didn't want to hear (there was no backup of the emails).

Any way, and just to confirm an idea :
when the client connects to the IMAP server, it only downloads the head of emails ? so it the emails are no more on the server, and even if I still have the head on the client (no connection to the IMAP server done since the deletion, I'm unable to retrieve the data ?

(no the client didnt have the offline option set up)

rainer_d

fnemo wrote on Fri, 15 July 2005 18:01

thanks for the reply, even if it was what I didn't want to hear (there was no backup of the emails).

Any way, and just to confirm an idea :
when the client connects to the IMAP server, it only downloads the head of emails ? so it the emails are no more on the server, and even if I still have the head on the client (no connection to the IMAP server done since the deletion, I'm unable to retrieve the data ?

(no the client didnt have the offline option set up)

Nope.
Deleted is deleted.
Actually (and to add further to the confusion), when you delete it via IMAP, it's not deleted but "marked for deletion". Only when the mailbox is "expunged", it gets really deleted.
But the cronjob works via rm (or perls unlink-function, IIRC - but basically the same endresult) and the file in the maildir that contained the message is physically removed from the server.

Wether and if your mailer caches mails locally - we cannot answer.

Rainer
--
FreeBSD - The Power To Serve