compatibility with debian 3.1

Started by Tenaka, June 08, 2005, 01:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenaka

hello everybody,

I just stumbled upon your page and after reading through install advice and the faq I really started thinking about giving it a try. I am currently using the methods described on www.qmailrocks.org but I am unhappy with the result as those instructions aren't complete and I had to imrpovise to get it running, still it doesn't have all the functionality I wanted an it advertises.

At least its not made for a half-newbie like me.

Now I was wonering if this site is really made suitable for Debian installs as well as I have not seen any instructions on what to modify for debian.

any suggestions / ideas? or will it just work following the instructions from thissite?

Tenaka

Anyone installed it on Debian? I am just wondering because the other instructions I mentioned above have severall different instructions for different OS, while here there is only one instruction. What else I am wondering about ist about the paths that are set in various config files. I haven't changed any of my own paths, its all debian standard, the config files do look a bit strange to me so what to do - try to change my paths or try to change the config files to match?

B.T.W. How long does an installation of MAil::Toaster take? I already found the rates; do you install on Debian as well?

matt

I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work on Debian. Most of my Mail::Toaster will work on just about any unix-like OS because I've built a source install framework that will work just about anywhere. If software generally will ./configure; make; make install on your platform, then it should work like a charm.

I have installed on several version of Linux and it always works fine for me.

Matt

Tenaka

well you see, I gave it a start, as far as I thought it'be safe and when it came to

/usr/local/etc/toaster.conf
/usr/local/etc/toaster-watcher.conf

I realized there were paths that were different, i.e. the document root path was completely different from muine (I guess different from Debians standard one as well). So I started analyzing the situatian and decided, I'd grab some old spare parts, build a testing PC and give it a try on it. If it works I will try and use the notes I made to get it working on my main server as well. If that works I can post the changes I made or problems I got, but I guess that will take some time for me to finish.