bayesian filter supplement

Started by jg, May 15, 2005, 01:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jg

Hello,

The toaster's Bayesian filter ignores some things I always put in the Spam folder and I keep seeing them over and over again.  This has been going on for over a year.  I want to specifically filter certain types of junk mail that I get all the time.  

In matt's mailfilterex file it shows an example which I've modified
like this:

if (/^From: .*\.forbesdigital\.com/)
to /dev/null

I put this in the .mailfilter file in my home directory and also in the root directory, but it is having no effect.  I'm still getting mail I don't want from forbesdigital.  Can anyone put me on the right path?

thanks

John

matt

For others edification, the problem here was several fold. First, the proper place for the .mailfilter file is in your Maildir, which is where sqwebmail creates it.  If you create it manually, you'll have to move it to ~vpopmail/domains/example.com/user/.mailfilter. That's where the Mail::Toaster maildrop script will look for and include it from.

The second issue is the use of catchall accounts. If you use the catchall account, then you are effectively disabling the chk-user patches, which keep a lot of crap off your email server. In most cases, using a catchall is not what you want.

Finally, if you're getting spam from a particular address, the best way to block it is setting up per-user SpamAssassin preferences (in MySQL) and use the blacklist feature to tell SpamAssassin to always reject them.  

You can also drag them into your Spam folder and the bayesian filters "might" eventually  learn them as spam, but not necessarily. Read up on bayesian filtering on the SA site for reasons why.

In this case, John hired me to set up per-user prefs. After adding the miscreants to his blacklist, I'm sure he'll be get the results he wants.