Update maildrop config files

Started by matt, January 31, 2004, 07:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt

I've spent the last two days reworking the maildrop filtering rules. I've added a couple new features such as nuking message with a high spam score but the biggest deal is how much more robust the filtering configuration is.

Before I didn't do checks to make sure certain binaries were available, such as deliverquota. I learned that if that binary disappears (don't ask how I know this) then maildrop would drop the message. It make sense, sort of, but it's not the bahavior I expected so I've added a bunch of checks to make sure certain things that it expects are so.

I've also updated the logging considerably. It now logs a lot more interesting information. Enough so that's fun just to watch the maildrop logging. Here's an example log entry:

====  Sat Jan 31 18:52:04 EST 2004 BEGIN maildrop processing for mailto:matt@tnpi.biz" target="_blank">matt@tnpi.biz ===
 running message through spamc
 message is clean (0.Cool
 delivering to /usr/local/vpopmail/domains/tnpi.biz/matt/Maildir
=== END ===  mailto:matt@tnpi.biz" target="_blank">matt@tnpi.biz  success (quota)

With this new log format it's very easy to grep through the log file for things like SPAM, clean, END, success, and bounced. Those keywords will give you a pretty clear picture of your message delivery stats.

The new filter file is available here: http://www.tnpi.biz/internet/mail/toaster/etc/mailfilter-site" target="_blank">http://www.tnpi.biz/internet/mail/toaster/etc/mailfilter-site

If you just installed a "default" toaster, this is the mailfilter file you have installed. You can download this and move it to /usr/local/etc/mail/mailfilter. Make sure to preserve the permissions of the mailfilter file.

I've been using this filter for two days now and monitoring the logs to make sure it behaves in all the right ways. This is the most tested and robust version of this mailfilter ever.

Oh, and I added more documentation to the file as well.  Very Happy