News 4.01 Linux build

Started by mchallis, December 14, 2004, 11:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mchallis

In the news section of the forums under 4.01 Matt has a section:

"LINUX
The entire toaster will now build on a linux server. I've only tested on Fedora and had to add the users manually but everything else works. Why does that matter? Well, for starters, the linux support isn't linux specific and will work on nearly any unix-like OS, including Mac OS X. Also, if a port install fails for some reason, it will be detected and a source install will be attempted."

I am curious how the install builds on Linux. Do you install the packages required using whatever package manager (rpm or deb) native to your distro, then run the perl bundle or do you build from source?

matt

mchallis wrote on Tue, 14 December 2004 13:57

I am curious how the install builds on Linux. Do you install the packages required using whatever package manager (rpm or deb) native to your distro, then run the perl bundle or do you build from source?

Currently it's set to install from sources, unless it's running on a platform where a port/package mechanism is in place that it recognizes. Currently, that is Mac OS X and FreeBSD.  I'm sure some interested party will eventually add the ability to install using apt-get, rpm, and other utilities for various Linux distros. Take a look at the FreeBSD.pm and Darwin.pm modules to see what would need to be done for Your Favorite Package Manager on your favorite platform.

Matt