NicTool Install on FreeBSD 4.10

Started by mike_tcis, December 14, 2004, 10:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_tcis

I'm preparing to (attempt) my first NicTool install.  I'm using FreeBSD 4.10 RELEASE (minimal install, kernel sources only).  I've installed Apache2 via ports, and am about to do the necessary Perl modules.  A few questions:

1. Is Perl 5.6.1 or Perl 5.8.x preferred?

2. Can mod_perl2 be used as a DSO in Apache2?  I read someplace that Apache 1.x and mod_perl as as DSO don't get along

3. What version of SOAP::Lite are the supplied patches designed for?  0.60a?

4. I noticed somewhere in the docs that XML/RPC is a supported mechanism for the API, yet elsewhere in the docs it is stated that it has never been made to work.  Whats the scoop?

5. Any other issues I should be aware of?

Thanks.

--Mike

LogicX

mike_tcis wrote on Tue, 14 December 2004 12:12

I'm preparing to (attempt) my first NicTool install.  I'm using FreeBSD 4.10 RELEASE (minimal install, kernel sources only).  I've installed Apache2 via ports, and am about to do the necessary Perl modules.  A few questions:

5.8.x (5.8.5)
mike_tcis

2. Can mod_perl2 be used as a DSO in Apache2?  I read someplace that Apache 1.x and mod_perl as as DSO don't get along

Correct.  There is apparently a 0.65 beta out, I haven't tried it, not sure if Matt has.
mike_tcis

4. I noticed somewhere in the docs that XML/RPC is a supported mechanism for the API, yet elsewhere in the docs it is stated that it has never been made to work.  Whats the scoop?

The code is there, attempts have been made to get it to work, but were unsuccesful, and Matt is encouraging anyone to take a look and make it work.
mike_tcis

Thanks.

--Mike

Yes, there are numerous 'hard coded' values in the config.  I'm going to write an overall review of my nictool setup and comment about them.  Look for my post.
--- May this post be indexed by spiders, and archived for all to see as my internet epitaph.
http://fpux.com" target="_blank">http://fpux.com

matt

mike_tcis wrote on Tue, 14 December 2004 12:12

Thanks.

--Mike

1.  5.8.5 is the latest and is preferred.

2. Yes, mod_perl2 as a dso works fine. You are correct in that it does not work fine with apache 1.

3. The only version that existed for the last year. I didn't bother noting the version because there was no active development. Thankfully, someone else took it over before I go the time to do it.  Razz

4. I did not write NicTool (Mike, read the History page). I'm not familiar with XML/RPC and thus don't have the skills to figure out why it doesn't work. If you're familiar with XML/RPC, take a look at it and send me a diff -u when you get it working.

5. Be aware of zealous posters on the boards. Wink

mike_tcis

matt wrote on Tue, 14 December 2004 16:30

5. Be aware of zealous posters on the boards. Wink

Embarassed

matt

Hey mike_tcis, that was just a small tongue-in-cheek jab at someone else. The intended recipient knows who he is, and doesn't mind a little ribbing.

LogicX

Quote:

Message Count:   43 Messages(s) (0.16 average messages per day)
Show all messages by LogicX

Hey Matt, -- its all in the spirit of helping others, right? Smile
--- May this post be indexed by spiders, and archived for all to see as my internet epitaph.
http://fpux.com" target="_blank">http://fpux.com

matt

mike_tcis

matt wrote on Wed, 15 December 2004 13:27

Hey mike_tcis, that was just a small tongue-in-cheek jab at someone else. The intended recipient knows who he is, and doesn't mind a little ribbing.

No worries, I've been around long enough not to fret about it  Wink

--Mike