New Forum Software

Started by matt, December 06, 2004, 08:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt

As you can undoubtably tell, the forum software is no longer phpBB but FUDforum.  There are quite a few reasons for this:

1. Security: I found linux root kit installed in the phpBB directory of one on my forums. I have very little tolerance for convenience at the cost of security. They were informed of the exploit a week before acknowledging and doing something about it.  It was that week the script kiddies tried their root kit on my box. Because of the many precautions I take, they didn't get anywhere but that's hardly the point.

2. Ease of administration. I've spent too much time "modding" my install to keep the  forum spammers from polluting my boards. The phpBB guys *finally* did something about it with 2.0.11 but it's too little, too late.

3. Efficiency. I copied the entire contents of the phpBB forum over. In FUDforum, the MySQL tables are half the size.

4. Speed. The pages render faster in FUDforum and require less system resources.  

Don't even bother whining about it to me. I'm not going back to phpBB, so unless you have something to contribute to FUDforum (like a less ugly template), I don't want to hear about it.

Matt