Troubleshooting Courier-imap/courier-imap-ssl problems

Started by seamus, November 15, 2004, 09:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seamus

If there's anyone reading who is familiar with Courier, this is probably a straightforward question for you: Where does Courier-imap log to?  If I could see an error I reckon I could probably fix it (with google's help, of course)

After installing the latest Toaster version, I was able to connect to my IMAP once I started it (yep, duh moment) but want to use SSL as I use wifi hotspots quite a bit and don't like people reading my mail. Trouble is it won't start - /usr/local/libexec/courier-imap/imapd-ssl.rc (I'm quoting from memory here, but you get the drift) executes silently but doesn't start anything when I list imap processes (all that's running is authdaemond.plain).

From here I don't where to look for an error message that I can go about tackling. The problem is probably with my ssl certs or ssl related if regular imap works (though I think I've broken that again). I've scoured courier-mta.org for ideas but didn't find what I was looking for.  Any pointers on where to check for errors or what files I should be cheking to make sure are correct?

Thanks,
James

seamus

Ok, replying to your own post isn't the ideal way to start out on a forum. But after letting this rest for awhile and then having another look around, I found out that I should have a look at /var/log/maillog. This gives a reasonable amount of information and in my case, shows me that my problem is:
Nov 15 23:42:15 stjamesgate imapd: /usr/local/libexec/courier-imap/authlib/authdaemon: No such file or directory
So I'll figure that out later on (suggestions in the interim are welcome though)

seamus

Ok imap and imap-ssl are both starting. I can log into imap and also the LOGIN/LOGOUT in /var/mail/maillog. However, if I try to login over SSL then nothing happens - my mail client just times out. There's nothing in the log file.

Suggestions are now very much appreciated Smile

davidcl

Check the existence and permissions on your imapd certificate:

# ls -l /usr/local/share/courier-imap/imapd.pem-rw-------  1 root  wheel  2158 Apr  1  2004 /usr/local/share/courier-imap/imapd.pem

davidcl

Also, there are two ways to log in using SSL:

- On the standard IMAP port, 143, using the START TLS extension to the IMAP protocol
- On the "secure" IMAP port, 993, using an SSL session.

Make sure that the port you're connecting to matches what your mail client is going to try to do.

seamus

Hi David,

Many apologies for leaving the thread hanging, was travelling. Anyway, there were two separate issues that I had (in the end) and they relate to your last posting. I got myself confused over the SSL and the TLS ports, so once I came back and went through a few steps again with your postings in mind it worked fine for me in Mail.app (on my Mac). The second problem I encountered when testing from another client related to the way the client talked to the imapd-ssl and seems to be a protocol issue. The courier log file bitches about SSL3, I'm getting around to sorting that out shortly.

Many thanks for your assistance.