How to turn off qmailscanner on an overloaded server ?

Started by mcbloom, November 08, 2004, 10:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcbloom

Hi,

We've just moved a production mail server from an old dell raid 5 array to a new shiney netapp, and decided to move to a new toaster while we did it.

We've found that for some reason, we only had a gig of ram installed, and are having issues maintaining enough smtp connections.

Is there an easy way of turning off qmailscanner without reinstalling the machine ?

I've tried to run toaster-watcher.pl after changing the version of qmailscanner to 0, but I've found that I'm getting clamav errors in the syslog. Mail is slowly starting to pick up speed but if anyone has any ideas on quickly flipping the off switch on qmailscanner, I'd be all ears.

Thanks.

ozric

Edit your toaster-watcher.conf file.

#smtpd_qmail_queue               = /var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl
smtpd_qmail_queue               = /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue

Wait 5 mins for your cron to run to rebuild the run files or run it yourself.

This is from perldoc toaster-watcher.conf

smtpd_qmail_queue          = /var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl       This is used as your qmailqueue.  If you want to enable/disable qmail-       scanner very easily, change this settings to:         smtpd_qmail_queue          = /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue       Run toaster-watcher.pl and qmail-scanner will be disabled

steveb

Alternatively, by editing the /var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl file directly, you can selectively turn off SA, clamav or both:

#Array of virus scanners used must point to subroutines
#my @scanner_array=("clamscan_scanner","spamassassin");
my @scanner_array=("spamassassin");

Which would enable SA, but not ClamAV.

Steve