SMTP-AUTH

Started by btsteve, June 17, 2004, 08:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btsteve

How do i test SMTP-Auth when i set certian rbls it blocks my sending, but i am affraid that it is opening me up to spam with out it.

How do i test to make pop before smtp and or smtp-auth is working.

sonicbum

for smtp-auth, it's not 'mail server dependent' since it's apart of the SMTP protocol, so google on 'smtp-auth' and click the first link.  Scroll down and you find this:

telnet your.mailserver.com 25

then type:
ehlo localhost

and you should see something like this:
250 AUTH LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-DM5

which means smtp-auth is supported.

Also:
250-STARTTLS

means your server is setup for SSL and you can (and should) encrypt those logins.  Remember with the Toaster, you need to use your full email address as your login for smtp-auth.

btsteve

I tried that and got the following output

220 mx1.netstar-usa.com ESMTPehlo mx1.netstar-usa.com250-mx1.netstar-usa.com250-STARTTLS250-PIPELINING250-8BITMIME250 AUTH LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5

Thanks I an just trying to make sure everything is stable, and working correctly before i release this to my users, and making sure smtp auth is working is a big part of that.

sonicbum

Then your SMTP-AUTH should be working.

I just re-read your inital post.  I think you getting the two things confused.  SMTP-AUTH and RBL's do not serve the same purpose.

RBL's are to reduce spam to email accounts residing on your server.

SMTP-AUTH is to allow users on your system to send email out though your server without creating an 'open-relay' server, which is used by spammers to send email through your server to other SMTP servers on the Internet.

Post if you have any more questions.

btsteve

Thanks.I understant the differenct i might have not been clear in the initial post.

I have finaly gotten everything working except sqwebmail.

I am almost ready to start moving customer to this box.
think you could answer a few dns questions???

sonicbum

sure, start a new Topic