services wont start

Started by idx, June 01, 2004, 07:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idx

(this is on a Feb 6'04 toaster build)

So I notice there's a process running readproctitle and it keeps complaining about not being able to access files.  (can't recall the exact error)

I run services stop then remove the readproctitle process.  I go to start services and now it wont start - keeps complaining about not being able to access files.  I compare everything in /var/service to various backups over the last few months and nothing has changed.  /var/qmail/supervise is exactly the same as well..

After pulling out half my hair, I decide to try to upgrade the toaster.  Following Matt's upgrade page, everything goes just fine until I get to the qmail section.  Here's the end of the output from toaster_setup.pl -s qmail

Stopping Qmail!Stopping services: svscancat: /var/run/svscan.pid: No such file or directoryusage: kill [-s signal_name] pid ...       kill -l [exit_status]       kill -signal_name pid ...       kill -signal_number pid ...rm: /var/run/svscan.pid: No such file or directorysvc: warning: unable to chdir to /var/service/*: file does not existsvc: warning: unable to chdir to /var/service/*/log: file does not exist.StopQmailSend: FAILED! Couldn't find your qmail control dir! at /usr/local/sbin/toaster_setup.pl line 100svc: warning: unable to chdir to 0: file does not exist0: unable to chdir: file does not exist0: unable to chdir: file does not exist0: unable to chdir: file does not exist0: unable to chdir: file does not exist0: unable to chdir: file does not exist0: unable to chdir: file does not exist0: unable to chdir: file does not exist0: unable to chdir: file does not exist0: unable to chdir: file does not exist

...and it keeps scrolling with `unable to chdir` until I hit ctrl-c

So now I figure I'm already screwed, so why not just start fresh?  (sorta)  After backing up my config/email/etc, I remove qmail/vpopmail/courier/etc..  Clean up my ports, cvsup ports then run portupgrade -ai .

Now I start from the beginning on the installation page, upgrade to perl 5.8.1, start with fresh toaster-conf files and follow the rest.  Again, everything is working fine until I try to install qmail.  I see that /var/qmail is there, but if I move past qmail and install everything else (which works), I still end up with service errors.

I've been running Matt's toaster recipe since the beginning of 2002 and I thought I had some clue of what I was doing.  What am I missing???

any tips are greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

-r

idx

Also, if I continue with the install, everything except for the `supervise` steps works.

toaster_setup.pl -s supervise

ConfigureQmailControl: /var/qmail/bin/qmailctl already exists.ConfigureQmailControl: /var/qmail/rc already exists.CreateServiceDir: /var/service already exists.CreateSuperviseDirs: /var/qmail/supervise already exists.CreateSuperviseDirs: /var/qmail/supervise/smtp already existsCreateSuperviseDirs: /var/qmail/supervise/send already existsCreateSuperviseDirs: /var/qmail/supervise/pop3 already existsCreateSuperviseDirs: /var/qmail/supervise/submit already existsInstallQmailSuperviseRunFiles: /var/qmail/supervise/smtp/run already exists!InstallQmailSuperviseRunFiles: /var/qmail/supervise/send/run already exists!InstallQmailSuperviseRunFiles: /var/qmail/supervise/pop3/run already exists!WARNING: /var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl is not executable by uid 0InstallQmailSuperviseLogRun: /var/qmail/supervise/smtp/log/run already exists.InstallQmailSuperviseLogRun: /var/qmail/supervise/send/log/run already exists.InstallQmailSuperviseLogRun: /var/qmail/supervise/pop3/log/run already exists.InstallQmailSuperviseLogRun: /var/qmail/supervise/submit/log/run already exists.ConfigureServices: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/services.sh already exists.ConfigureServices: /usr/local/sbin/services already exists.NOTICE: Not enabled due to configuration settings.ConfigureServices: /var/service/smtp already exists.ConfigureServices: /var/service/send already exists.ConfigureServices: /var/service/submit already exists.Starting up services.If there's any problems, you can stop all supervised services by running:  services stopIf you get a not found error, you need to refresh your shell. Tcsh usersdo this with the command 'rehash'.Starting services: svscan sendsvscan: warning: unable to start supervise smtp: file does not existsvscan: warning: unable to start supervise smtp/log: file does not existsvscan: warning: unable to start supervise send: file does not existsvscan: warning: unable to start supervise send/log: file does not existsvscan: warning: unable to start supervise submit: file does not existsvscan: warning: unable to start supervise submit/log: file does not exist smtp submit.

matt

I suspect your toaster-watcher.conf file has some "interesting" settings that are related to your problems.

idx

Well, the box was acting very interesting and needed help from fsck.  I finally got the services running, but smtp was still being weird.  Since this was a temporary box anyway, I'm in the process of toasting up the new hardware before the drive does anything else interesting.  Smile

-r