qmail-smtpd doesn't log activity in /var/log/qmail/smtpd

Started by Adi Pircalabu, May 06, 2004, 11:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adi Pircalabu

Hi, I am using an older version of your toaster (2.3 or smth, can't remember exactly), customized a bit, and I have this weird problem with qmail-smtpd. I can't make it log connections and stuff to /var/log/qmail/smtpd/current. All I get there is errors which occur sometimes from various reasons. I read Dave Sill's LWQ, and he says there: "For a number of reasons, qmail doesn't log SMTP connections, rejections, invalid commands, or valid commands. tcpserver can be used to log connections, and recordio can be used to log the entire SMTP dialogue. recordio is part of the ucspi-tcp package."
I also tried to run recordio to log SMTP activity to syslog, but when doing services stop/start I get:
tcpserver: usage: tcpserver [ -1UXpPhHrRoOdDqQvS ] [ -c limit ] [ -x rules.cdb ] [ -B banner ] [ -g gid ] [ -u uid ] [ -b backlog ] [ -l localname ] [ -t timeout ] host port program

Some of the files:
/service/smtp/run

#!/bin/sh

PATH=/var/qmail/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
export PATH
QMAILQUEUE=/var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl
export QMAILQUEUE

QMAILUID=`id -u vpopmail`
NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`

exec softlimit -m 40000000 tcpserver -S -R -H -c100 -l 0 -x /usr/local/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb \
#    -u $QMAILUID -g $NOFILESGID 0 smtp qmail-smtpd scorilo.qbyte.net \
   -u $QMAILUID -g $NOFILESGID 0 smtp recordio qmail-smtpd scorilo.qbyte.net \
   /usr/local/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /usr/bin/true 2>&1

/var/qmail/rc

#!/bin/sh

# Using splogger to send the log through syslog.
# Using qmail-local to deliver messages to Maildir format by default

exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
       qmail-start ./Maildir/

/service/smtp/log/run

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/local/bin/setuidgid qmaill /usr/local/bin/multilog t /var/log/qmail/smtpd

I'd be glad to send you more info regarding this weird situation.
Tks Matt, you are doing an incredible job putting together this toaster, though I can't imagine yet the upgrade day, it ain't broken so I won't "upgrade" it very soon Smile,  maybe I'll test your latest work when I'll have a decent test machine, and yes, of course, it will run FreeBSD.