Unable to chdir? toaster_setup.pl -s

Started by Marc, April 17, 2004, 09:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Hi,

Having a problem running toaster_setup.pl -s qmail I can't seem to track down. While installing qmail I get this.

InstallNetQmail: fixing up conf-groups
Stopping Qmail!
StopQmailSend: FAILED! Couldn't find your qmail control dir!
at /usr/local/sbin/toaster_setup.pl line 100
svc: warning: unable to chdir to 0: file does not exist
0: unable to chdir: file does not exist

This is a FreeBSD 5.2.1 box and control is /var/qmail/control, perms are root:qmail 755, toaster 3.39 so it has(?) to be something I munged in one of the confs?

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Marc

Marc

Just wanted to pop back in here and give this one some resolution. Looks like having your ports up to date is a Very Good ThingĀ®

After making sure I had everything done up properly the toaster installed and  runs perfectly with just a few tweaks to the toaster-conf to use install_net_snmpd = 5. Still have a hassle with a few graphs but other than that...

Thanks Matt for making the Toaster available!

Marc

AHeck

I was also suffering from this problem, but my solution turned out to be different.

The machine displaying this error message was an old server that was running one of the original installs of the Toaster from back in the days before Matt had devised any sort of setup script.  

After spending a ton of time updating every tiny little inconsequential port, this problem would not go away.  It took some digging in the Perl libraries that Matt has built to actually figure out what the toaster install was trying to do.

By the message, one would infer the directory the install is looking for is the qmail control directory (/var/qmail/control).  However, in actual fact it is looking for the service control directory (usually /var/service...although on this ancient beast it was /service).

The old install had been removed manually by me, and I thought I had done a thorough job of cleaning it out.  However, the one file that I did not clean from the old install was /usr/local/sbin/services because I had incorrectly assumed one of my pkg_delete's would wipe it out.

toaster_install, however, saw that existence of /usr/local/sbin/services as an indication that there were services that needed to be stopped.  Since I had completely wiped the service directory, the services could not be stopped and the install went into a perpetual loop of trying to stop them and failing.

The solution at that point was obvious - delete /usr/local/sbin/services and start over again from the top (just to make sure).  It worked and, although there were more bizzare problems no doubt related to the vintage of the system, the installation progressed beyond toaster_setup.pl -s qmail stage.

And everybody lived (slept) happily ever after.

Total time spent: 22 hours.  Sound excessive?  Have you ever tried portsdb -Uu/portupgrade -ai on a cacheless Celeron 266 with an ancient 4500RPM drive?  Enough to bring you to tears.  Amazing how well it handles mail duties, though!

P.S.  A huge thank you to Matt for all of his awesome work on the Toaster.  It's matured beautifully and I can't say enough good things about it!