Removing the Toaster

Started by twardoz, March 18, 2004, 01:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twardoz

Is there a simple way to remove the toaster? I guess I could just hose my whole OS, but it would be nice to avoid that if possible.

davidcl

What aspects of the toaster do you want to remove?  The toaster is a complex package which relies on a whole passel of other applications, so there's no simple answer.

If you turn off the cron jobs, you'll have disabled much of the toaster's special functionality.

If you do "services stop" and then remove the services.sh file from /usr/local/etc/rc.d then you'll have disabled qmail.  (Be sure to re-enable sendmail or your machine won't be able to send any mail at all.)

Many of the other packages installed with the toaster-- clamAV, spamassassin, snmpd, etc.-- also have run files in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.  Either use those run files to stop the associated service, or simply remove the run file and then reboot your machine.

Now, once you've done all that, you've pretty much stopped the toaster from doing anything on your machine.  It isn't really "removed" but it is disabled.

"Removing" everything installed by toaster_setup would be a big task.  You could start by going through the list of packages installed on your system and trying to deinstall each one.  If you really want everything gone, though, it's probably easier to reinstall your OS and start from scratch.