qmail-inject too much ram after upgrade

Started by TobiasN, March 17, 2004, 04:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TobiasN

hello,

after I upgraded my box ... qmail-inject uses up to 416 MB of ram ... but I have only 256MB ram so it is swaping ... what isn't very nice ;/

I set into toaster-watch

smtpd_max_memory_per_connection = 15            # in megabytes
smtpd_max_connections           = 10
smtpd_max_memory                = 80

and I also get an email with report .. from the toaste which tells me that i have to increase the memory ...

anybody an idear ?

regards
Tobias Niethammer

davidcl

Change smtpd-max-memory to 150 and you'll stop getting the emails.

I don't think this will help your out-of-control qmail-inject process.  I think you can probably just kill that process without ill effect.

CesarDi

I installed on a clean FreeBsd 4.9 stable box with perl 5.6.1 then swithced to perl 5.8.2, and then the qmail-inject go crazy, I'm getting a out of swap space error every 5 mins.
Any help?

CesarDi

Seems to be the rrdutil updater cron job, every time it fails the system tries to send an administrative e-mail, so the qmail-inject process is called and generates a memory overload due to the  frequency of this alert...
My rrdutil is not working after upgrade due to compilation problems, so I decided to drop out the cron job related to it.

Hope this helps.

PD.: sory for my english

davidcl

If the cron job sending one message every 5 minutes is causing that much load on your machine, something else is badly wrong.

matt

The problem is in fact with the rrdutil cron job. Whe he upgrade Perl from 5.6.1 to 5.8, the RRDs perl module that rrdutil relies upon went AWOL.  I updated the UPGRADE doc yesterday noting that BEFORE you upgrade your perl, comment out the cron jobs and then test them before re-enabling.

I also added the portupgrade -f rrdtool line which, even if folks don't heed the cron note will take care of their problem.

Matt

CesarDi

Thanks  Matt and others, I'm running toaster in two produciton servers, and testing upgrades in other server, all with freebsd 4.9.
I'm testing things like upgrades, interaction with other software like groupware and cms. So I'm dealing with broken ports and incompatibilities every day, in fact I'm upgrading to a new version of apache-ssl-mod_perl-php4 now after upgrading the port tree on my test server.
So, if there are anything with I can help just let me know.

Greetings fom Argentina

PD.: Sory for my english.