Is there any way to do internationalized domain names (IDN) in NicTool?

Started by jrcarlsen, September 21, 2015, 05:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrcarlsen

We are setting up a new DNS infrastructure based on NicTool, it looks like IDN is not supported is there any work around that works?

rainer_d

Can't you just use the ASCII-representation?
We use that all the time. Even with an older version of NicTool.

It would be nice if the Web-Interface supported converting IDNs to their ASCII-representation, semi-automatically. But for us, that's not a deal-breaker.
--
FreeBSD - The Power To Serve

matt

Since NicTool 2.28 (2014.10.08), NicTool allows DNS names to be any ASCII printable character, which basically means that NicTool does support IDN, it just doesn't "help" you in any way.

It would be good to integrate something like https://www.npmjs.com/package/punycode into NicTool client so that when an IDN value is entered, it gets automatically converted to its ASCII representation.

jrcarlsen

The ASCII representation works well when you only have a handful of internationalized domain names. Being located in Asia, we are seeing it being used more and more, and it does make it slower to manage when you have to go somewhere else to get the entries translated.

Anyway, I appreciated the feedback and I'll see if I can find a good way to work around it.

rainer_d

OK, Asia is a different thing - I see where your pain is.
Even though we have Umlauts (öäü and ß), people are generally smart enough to avoid using them in actual domain names. Generally.
--
FreeBSD - The Power To Serve